Phylogeny Contemporary

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Expand

It is my personal preference to remain in the background. I like the art I exhibit to stand alone, much like I like my professional appearance. I am a curator. I select specific works of art to be placed together intentionally. I am aware not all people have the same "intention" for showing particular art when they do.

Perhaps it is best to have intention defined?


This slightly more personal biography, philosophy, art history, and credentials. I begin this blog to reflect on the journey, the lessons learned and with this information, you will learn what Phylogeny Contemporary is. By sharing, a seemingly odd thing for an art gallery that should remain an anonymous white box, I break the fourth wall.

Am I a performer? If I were technical or director in performance, I would feel more at home. I am an introvert. It took me my entire life to realize this. I always had a  life-long love of art.  It has taken a few forms in my life fashion design, boutique owner, graphic designer, art therapist, gallerist, and curator.

Each has come with successes and failures. I have never been surer about my place on my journey because of these experiences. I most certainly have thought of walking away from the business of art on more than one occasion. I have long discussions with industry veterans, artist and now seek a larger perspective on who it is that collects art and why.

It is quite like the search for the meaning of life. Everyone believes they know the secret to enlightenment, or a select few proudly claim to know the way to create the ideal "..." or that...

I just think if honestly can not be involved with art.  I will always find myself excited my international museum exhibitions. Inspired by the artist, I meet along the way; sometimes shows are born.

"Art is hard" is a joke we sometimes say. Because selling art is complicated.  Making original authentic, well crafted and meaningful art is even more challenging.

The moment I found clarity with my intention; I just began a daily practice. It's consciousness.
There is no magic solution.
I can learn to have a less stressful logistical experience. I can continue to educate myself on art history, contemporary artist, curatorial science, and all the other parts of life that fascinate me and keep me continually asking questions.

I am my business because I am a one woman business and always have been. It came from an inherited stubborn and hard work ethic. I was taught to get sweaty, get in there and do the job, even alongside employees. Hands on work were my parent's ethos.  Each task has kept me very in tune to more aspects of this business than sales. Or maybe distracted me from the business of art while I focused on building my comprehension of "brand identity," self-actualization or having the confidence to say I show what I do when I do.

I have intention with my work.  Art galleries are a business. I want to humanize that concept a moment in my original post. It's about supporting a business to continue, to pay artists well enough to continue to create as their full-time job.

An art gallery is very different than a retail store, however.
I want people to engage with art for the sake of the art itself.
I also want people to trust me enough to know that if I feel passionate about an artist or a piece or art; It is because the art is that exceptional.

I would hate to make people feel I was always and only trying to make a sale. I love art. I love to talk about art. It is my intention to create a community with Phylogeny Contemporary people can see surrealism from  and Argentinian artist living in Spain, or not know who will be exhibiting next and trust it would be interesting and worthwhile to see every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment